Sunday, December 25, 2011

Happy Christmas and last-night

Last night at the Unitarian Universalist Christmas Eve service, we wrapped up the night holding white candles and lighting our neighbors, all from the same chalice flame. The lights dimmed and we listened to a traditional Austrian carol plucked on a harp (a few babies cried throughout). There wasn't prayer, there were a couple Jesus references (obviously), but it was welcoming to everybody. Also, a lot of people wore flannel and jeans. They projected Christmas song lyrics on a big screen, so I could sing along, too -- that might've been my favorite part. I really didn't mind singing songs whose lyrics didn't jive with my sense of self or personal beliefs. It felt unbelievably good to be recognizing a day, steeped in history, with other people in my community. I already can't wait for next year.

No comments: